Last month I spent a few days in Paris. In the last minute I found myself travelling by myself which I made me sad. I made the best of it and it gave me the opportunity spending far too much time in cookware shops and visiting countless pastry stores and bakeries. One of the bakeries that I visited was the Vandermeersch Boulangerie which is situated at the outskirts of Paris and this was the perfect opportunity to pay a visit to this bakery. Years ago I read about Vandermeersch excellent kouglofs and I was very eager to try Vandermeersch's kouglof. So one morning I hopped on the subway and 45 minutes later ( I stayed in Montmarte) I arrived at the bakery and I found a beautiful display of kouglofs in the bakery. There were different sizes of kouglof available. I opted for two petite kouglofs - although I was tempted to buy a big kouglof - but there was no way that I could finish one big kouglof myself. The small kouglofs from Vandermeersch are sprinkled with granulated sugar whereas the bigger ones are sprinkled with powdered sugar and decorated with almonds but apart from the size I do not think there is difference between the kouglofs.
After my successful kouglof purchase I hopped back on the subway and went to the Marais ( it is just about 20 minutes from the Vandermeersch bakery away) and I sat down on a park bench in the Square Georges-Cain park (it is next to the Swedish institute with a lovely cafe with Swedish pastries) in order to have my kouglof breakfast. I literally devoured one of the kouglhofs, not because I was starving, but because it was so good. It was the very BEST kouglof that I have ever eaten in my entire life. It was fluffiest, moistest, airiest yeasted kouglof with a hint of orange blossom water. It really blew my mind. I really did not expect. It was truly one of the best breakfast that I had in a long time and I was glad that I bought two kouglofs (I saved my other kouglof for my dinner). Writing this blog post about Vandermeersch excellent kouglof is such a torture, my mouth is watering and I do not know when I have the next chance to eat a Vandermeersch kouglof. I have to find a way recreating these unbelievable delicious and mouthwatering kouglofs but I doubt is that I am able to make such delicious kouglofs. If you are in Paris and have some time left on your hand visit the Vandermeersch boulangerie. I promise that you won't regret it!

The Marais district is a part of Paris that I particular like. The "Place des Vosges" is an incredible beautiful square but there are so many beautiful little corners to discover in the Marais district. Do not miss the Victor Hugo Museum which is a beautiful museum, located next to the Place des Vosges (as a bonus the museum is free of charge).







Address: 
Vandermeersch Boulangerie 
278 Avenue Daumesnil, 75012 Paris
 Opening Hours: Mondays and Tuesdays closed, 
 Wednesday to Saturday 7 am to 8 pm, 
 Sunday 7 am to 4 pm. 
Subway station: Porte DorĂ©e (line number 8); 
 it is a two minutes walk from the subway station to the bakery.