A few weeks ago I was sorting out my folder with recipes and notes that I took over the years and I came across a postcard that my mom sent me (ans my siblings) 5 years ago while she was home in Sweden. On the front of the postcard there is a lovely picture of an apple cake with a recipe. 
Right now it is July – no autumn in sight (unfortunately) – and it took me half a decade to make this utterly delicious apple coconut cake. I do not think it is a typical autumn apple cake and I think this apple coconut cake is a perfect addition for a summer picnic.
You only need a few ingredients for this cake which you probably already have on hand. Moreover, you won’t believe how little time it takes to prepare the batter and the cake is incredible scrumptious. I cannot wait to make this cake for my mom and I am curious if she remembers that she wrote this postcard five years ago. I will probably find out this when she read these lines because I have not told her about this postcard recipe that I found a few weeks ago in my recipe folder.
The postcard my mom sent me five years ago.
Makes one cake (15 cm diamter / 6 inch diamter)

INGREDIENTS

  • 2-3 apples (I used Golden Delicious)
  • 1 egg
  • 75 g granulated sugar
  • 50 g unsalted melted butter
  • 40 g coconut flakes
  • 30 g all-purpose flour (or use corn flour and you have a gluten-free cake)
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 175°C.
  • Grease a cake pan or an oven-safe casserole.
  • Peel, core, quarter the apples and then cut thin slices.
  • Distribute the apple slices in the cake pan.
  • Beat egg and sugar until creamy. Add the butter and mix well.
  • Mix flour, coconut flakes and baking powder in a small bowl. Add the flour mixture and mix until everything is well combined.
  • Pour the batter over the apples.
  • Bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes. If the top of the cake gets too brown cover the cake loosely with tin foil.
  • Serve the cake with whipped cream.