In the beginning of March I discovered the delicate financiers – my recipe is here - and a month later I am still shocked that I have never heard of financiers my entire life before. I cannot count how many times I made these delicate cakes since I discovered them in March and everyone I present my homemade financiers fell in love with them as well.
A while ago I created chocolate financiers and I cannot tell you how delicious these turned out. These chocolate financiers taste like chocolate truffle.I experimented a little bit with different kinds of chocolate (milk and dark chocolate) and came to the conclusion that using praline chocolate is the best. I am a big fan of dark chocolate but in the case of the chocolate financiers, praline chocolate is the best choice. If you can get hands on praline chocolate, use this kind of chocolate because it makes a big difference.

Makes 32 financiers or 8 muffins

INGREDIENTS

  • 190 g unsalted butter
  • 200 g powdered sugar
  • 65 g pastry flour
  • 135 g almond flour
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao
  • 50 praline chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 6 egg white

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
  • Grease and flour financier or muffin molds.
  • Melt the butter on medium heat until the butter turns to a golden brown color and develops a nutty flavor (beurre noisette).
  • Sift powdered sugar, flour and cacao into a bowl. Add almond flour and mix well.
  • Whisk the egg white - in a separate bowl - until they form light foam.
  • Make a well in the flour mixture and tip in the egg white. Add the beurre noisette gradually and mix until everything is well combined.
  • Fold in the roughly chopped chocolate into the mixture.
  • Divide cake batter evenly into the financiers or muffin molds.
  • Bake for 10 minutes (financiers molds) or 20 minutes (muffins molds).
  • Let the financiers cool. Remove from the molds and dust with powdered sugar.
  • Enjoy a piece of chocolate heaven.