On Sunday I made delicious I made on Sunday almond lemon tartlets which turned out superb.
For the filling I followed a recipe from a magazine of a grocery store which I receive for free every month. The beautiful photo of the tartlets drew my attention and I thought I should give it a try. While preparing the filling I started doubting, if the recipe were such a good idea because it seemed to me that there was too much lemon, especially lemon zest, involved. I am usually very careful when it comes to lemon zest. I often find too much lemon zest overpowering and can ruin the taste of a cake, unless it is a lemon cake.
Now you probably tell me “Marianne, you do not have to follow the recipe religiously, use less lemon zest than then the recipe ask for, so where is the problem?” You are absolutely right. I do not why but this time I followed the recipe religiously, even though I questioned the amount of lemon zest, and I am very glad I did. The almond-lemon tartlets are a mixture of tarte au citron and an almond tarte. This combination is great an
Maybe I should also learn how to read properly because the name of the tartlets says it: almond-lemon cakes. Oh well, I come to realization now that I know that I know nothing to quote Socrates. Is this the beginning or the end? Do not ask me and let’s move on to the recipe.
But one more thing before I stop rambling: I highly recommend serving the almond lemon tartlets with some whipped cream.

Makes 8 tartlets (diameter of 9 cm)

INGREDIENTS

Shortcrust

  • 150 g pastry flour
  • 40 g granulated sugar
  • 1 egg, medium size
  • 60 g unsalted cold butter

Filling

  • 3 organic lemons
  • 100 g almond flour
  • 110 g granulated sugar
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 eggs, medium size
  • 20 g flaked almonds

DIRECTIONS

  • Grease and flour the moulds.
  • Put the flour and sugar on a clean surface. Form a well in the center and put the egg in the center of the well.
  • Cut the butter into small pieces and add it to the flour. As I mentioned in previous recipes, make sure that the butter is cold because when the butter is soft the dough becomes sticky very quickly.
  • Knead the ingredients quickly until the dough is smooth. In case the dough is too dry, add a little bit of cold water to the shortcrust.
  • Cover the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
  • In the meantime prepare the filling for the tartlets.
  • Grate the zest of one lemon (finely) and then squeeze out the juice of the lemon. Mix the lemon zest, almond flour, 50 g sugar, 50 ml of the lemon juice and the egg white. The consistency of the almond mixture is very thick, it is like a paste.
  • Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
  • Grate the zest of the other two lemons (finely) and squeeze out the juice of the lemons as well. Mix the rest of the sugar (60 g), lemon zest, 150 ml lemon juice and eggs.
  • Now let’s go back to the shortcrust: divide the shortcrust into pieces and form little balls. Then roll out the balls on a floured surface until it has a diameter of 11 cm (it should be a little bit bigger than the diameter of your moulds). Prick the bottom of each mould.
  • Bake the tartlets for 4 minutes. Take the tartlets out of the oven. Spread the almond paste on the tartlets, then pour the lemon-egg mixture onto it and sprinkle with flaked almonds.
  • Put the tartlets back into the oven and back for 30 to 40 minutes.